|The LYNX train leaves the 7th Street Station.|
The construction of the trolley line came began in March of 1891 and was overseen by the Charlotte Consolidated Construction Company, who contracted the Edison Electric Company. Two months later, the first trolley was departed from Independence Square, also known as the intersection of Trade and Tryon Streets. From this central location, the trolley not only transported passengers but also ushered in economic growth to the city of Charlotte.
|The new Lynx light rail's tracks meander through uptown Charlotte.|
After its establishment, the Charlotte Trolley service provided public transportation to the metropolitan region for roughly forty more years until it was disbanded in 1938. Trolley bells were not to be heard throughout Charlotte for the next fifty years, until the reestablishment of the trolley line in 1981. Due to substantial efforts on the behalf of Dan Morrill and the Historic Landmarks Commission, the Charlotte Trolley line was re-established in 1994 and has continued ever since.
|A trolley in First Ward as well as the two crew members responsible for operating it.|